Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Phenomenal Woman

Geraldine Murray (paternal)

2016 Moore Street housed some of my best childhood memories.  Sliding down the living room stairs wrapped in a blanket like it was a super slide, playing Chinese checkers with Poppop while being careful not to knock over his whiskey, eating thick slices of scrapple even though my father forbid his mother from serving us "swine," along with the most buttery silver dollar pancakes ever turned over a hot iron griddle.  Watermelon, pineapples, honey dew, cantaloupe chopped in bite sized chunks for whenever our little fingers craved a taste.  Schoolhouse in the middle bedroom where I was always the teacher my siblings my faithful students, jumping on the bed in the back room until our legs gave out or Mommom called from the bottom of the stairs, “stop that rough housing before I come up there," which just made us laugh because we knew she wasn’t walking up the stairs.  Mommom claimed she wasn’t one of those grandmothers who baked cakes and churned homemade ice cream and she was never keen on long body crushing hugs, but her love is and has always been obvious and apparent.   


I know Phenomenal women.  Don't you?

 Yvonne Clair (maternal)


My Gram dressed in her hot pink fedora while catching three trains with her pacemaker pumping, and arthritis aching all to attend little Miss bossy's 3rd birthday party.  When she hobbled through the door with her back bent, I knew that not even a rainstorm could have kept her from celebrating the birthday of the child that she prayed into the world.  From the cushiony chair in my too chilly hospital room she wrung her hands and recited bible verses long since committed to heart, proclaiming that my little one would arrive safely.  The baby that the doctors cautioned me could be still-born, mildly retarded and non-commutative.  When I screamed in anguished from birthing with no drugs, she shouted, "Help her sweet Jesus!"  Didn't I tell you I know Phenomenal women. 


My mother, who I give more attitude than even I can stand is sweetest at her core, and no matter what I do she never stops showering me with her overwhelming love.  You can find her washing our clothes, nourish our bodies with home-cooked meals, bathing my kids, dusting them in baby powder and greasing their scalps until their little bodies are squeaky-Nana approved-clean.  Always in my business asking me questions that make me clutch my crystal, and when I give her that look she replies, "what, I'm your mother!"  That she is and I'm grateful. 


I'm bragging now folks, because I really do know  Phenomenal women.  "Lucky" is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel to have a mother-in-law who God hand-picked just for me out of His magnificent sky.  A strong woman who raised her son to be a gentleman, and after almost nine years of marriage that man still helps me with my coat and opens doors for me like we're on a first date.  She loves me like I'm her child, and she nourishes me with her timeless wisdom. Trust me ladies, I know this isn't common and I consider myself privileged because I also have a wonderful "Second Mother," who is the perfect companion for my father and treats me like she birthed me.  Yes ma'am,  I know Phenomenal women.  Don't you?

Sisters


"Every sister ain't a sister," is how we greet each other when the other hasn't called in more than two days.  Our attachment is fierce and my sisters have my back even when I'm contradictorily wrong.  Then there is my sister circle who cheers me on and lifts me up.  The ladies in my meditation class who Om with me and share my ups and downs--I feel your prayers and I salute you for being Phenomenal women. 

When I was a girl I use to pray to God to send me a daughter so that I'd have someone to take to the nail salon.  Well he sent me two.  My Prima Diva asks me all the time, "mommy do you love me or what?" and I interpret this as, do you love me enough to show me by example how to be all that is possible?  Will you work hard, mommy, to break old patterns that Ms. Iyanla Vanzant refers to as, "that DNA core level stuff that's got roots and cause, historical patterns and pathology that's embedded so deep we don't even know where to begin?"  Yes I know I'm getting deep, but its true, and my darling baby girl I do.  You will be a Phenomenal women.  Cause that's all I know.  Don't you?

Prima Diva  

little Miss bossy turns three today and I can't stop saying thank you to God because those doctors told me she wouldnt' be all right---could be this, might be that, we'll just have to wait and see.  I remember looking at her as an infant thinking I can't wait until you are three so that we can prove them wrong, and now baby girl is three and doing mighty fine.  Holler if you hear me, and believe me when I say I know Phenomenal woman. 

little Miss bossy

So in honor of all of the women, teachers, guides, who move through my life and are too countless to name, know that I'm honoring you.  My lovely readers, I salute and pay hommage to you with this classic poem from our beloved Maya Angelou who said, "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.  Life's a bitch.  You've got to go out and kick ass."  I give you....  

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
 

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
They swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But that can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breast,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomanal woman,
That's me.

In honor of Women's History month share this blog with one other Phenomenal woman!

Phenomenally yours,
Sadeqa
        

1 comment: