Thursday, March 31, 2011

Anxious? Just Breathe


Woman Of Color : Woman silhouette making yogaAll week I've been having the craziest dreams.  Yesterday I fell asleep on the couch and was jolted awake by a pole being rammed into my right eye.  Then last night I dreamt that my novel came out but the cover was a carbon copy of the book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (which looks nothing like what I envision).  I was at Barnes & Noble for a book signing, but  instead of being elated I was a nervous knot.  Nothing was going right.  The letters on the book cover were spelled out sloppily and inverted as if little Miss bossy did the graphics, and just as I was about to take the podium, someone from the audience started screaming, "plagiarizer, you stole this material from a famous book!"  Then the crowd started chanting, "plagiarizer, plagiarizer..." and I was as mortified as a mouse caught in a cheese trap.  I woke up with my stomach churning like a sausage-maker.

Even though I know I'm on the right path I'm still a bit anxious about taking on the project of publishing my own work.  There is a ton of behind the scenes work that has to be perfect in order for this project to be successful.  I'm a perfectionist on my best days and though things are lining up with the smile of God, that voice of self-doubt keeps trying to wiggle her way into my head.  I told you what to do when she slinks around, kick that heffa in the face with a steel-toed stiletto and step right over her.  So I am, I have, but she can be relentless and  hard to crush.  So what's a girl to do?  I breathe.  Sounds simple right, but true. 

The moment my head starts reeling with the what ifs, I take nice deep long breaths and focus on how the breathing makes my body feel.  Are you aware that some of us go through our whole day without ever taking time to breathe?  Trust me, breathing changes thing.  By simply tuning into your breath can help you move from a place of anxious, nervous energy into a calm and relaxing state, turning those moments that feel impossible into absolutely possible. 

Try it now, you can do it right at your desk with your eyes opened or closed (I prefer closed).  Breathe in while focusing on the flow of air through your nose, feel it go deep down into your chest and then exhale.  Notice the sensations, the aliveness in your body as you breathe.  Keep going, allow yourself to ride the wave of your own breath in and out.  In and out.  Ah!  Doesn't that feel good?  When I feel those low vibration thoughts of fear, anger, anxiety, depression, self-doubt and jealousy start creeping into my veins I find my breath.  I breathe until the moment passes.  Then I focus on filling myself up with higher vibration energies such as love, gratitude, peace, kindness, joy, grace, and that negative energy that was trying to grab a hold of me has no choice but to let go.  Why wouldn't it, I have a steel-toe stiletto.

 

Your task for this week is remember your own greatness.  You are worthy.  And if you still need more motivation, play Marsha Ambrosius' new album (the other half of Floetry), because I'm running the heck out of it and it's making me so happy!

Namaste Beautiful,
Love, Light and Laughter!

1 comment: