Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Been Too Long!

                                   

I've missed you and I'm so sorry that I didn't blog last week.  It has been insanely busy and I'm so grateful to be able to say that thing are going well for me and the future of 12th Street Press.  The company is now and LLC which means we are officially opened for business.  I signed my editorial contract last week with my fabulous editor Cherise Fisher who has worked with numerous New York Times best selling authors including Victoria Christopher Murray, Michael Baisden and David E. Talbert, so to say that I am in good hands is an understatement.  My website is being developed by Mary Brown and should be up and running in a month.  All I'm missing is dazzling cover art, a rich uncle to pay for my publicity campaign and an intern to help me become more social media saavy.

Sheesh, but the writing is going well.  I've been slaving away on my submission for the Hurston Wright Foundation Summer Program taking place in July at Howard University.  Dolen Perkins-Valdez, author of Wench (which I read in two days) is teaching the fiction workshop.  They only accept 12 students and I must be in the class.  I'm nervous because I have to submit 20 pages of my second novel which is in first draft shape at best, but I'm breathing and editing my way through it.  So please, say a prayer for me, cross your fingers and wish me luck!  D.C. here I come!

If you were unable to attend meditation class this week we discussed a passage from Iyanla Vanzant's book Until Today!.  Iyanla talks about the importance of taking care of You.  We all know that we are supposed to do it but how many of us really do it?  If you need a reason why this is so important, read what Iyanla has to say....

"Self-care is an acknowledgement of God's divine presence in you.  Spending time caring for your mind enables God's light, love and wisdom to shine through your thoughts.  When you make it a point to still your mind and your body to care for your spirit, you open yourself to receive the power of God's wisdom.  This wisdom leads to righteousness--right thinking, right action and right response in all aspects of your life.  There are people in the world who desperately need the presence of God's light.  You are a perfect source through which that light can shine to them.  People learn by example, and you are a living example.  The better you feel, the better you look.  The better you look, the more inspiration you offer.  The more inspiration you offer, the more believable it becomes that there are benefits and rewards for caring for the God in you.


Who in the world could not benefit from a little more wisdom?  A touch of love?  Or a surge of power?  All it takes is a little time.  A little care.  A few moments of silence and stillness each day.  (Meaning meditation) Do it for yourself.  Do it for the world.  If these reasons are not good enough, then do it for God.  Until today, you may not have realized that self-care is God care.  Just for today (actually I'm saying for this week), care for your mind, your body and your spirit as acknowledgment for God and in service to the world."

Isn't Queen Iyanla something?  Her picture is on my dream board and I wish that sister all of the comeback success that I can muster.  I'm still playing Marsha Ambrosius new album ever single day and if you haven't picked it up, get it!  My challenge to you for this week is to put yourself first and honor the God in you. 

I wish you Love, Light, Laughter, Peace, Blessings and Happiness!

Namaste Beautifuls!  Ashay, and Amen!

1 comment: