Friday, January 14, 2011

New to Meditation? Quick Tips to Get You Started

photo by Sadeqa Johnson
Namaste All!

Thanks for showing up again.  So here's the skinny on meditation and a few ways to get your practice started.  Of course if you live in New Jersey you can attend my group class on Tuesday nights, but if that isn't an option here's how to begin.  Believe me you will not be sorry!

Find a quiet space
It could be a little corner in your bedroom, or if you like you could designate the entire attic as your sacred space.  Choose an area in which you feel comfortable and serene.  When I have time (which is not everyday) I set the mood by lighting scented candles, incenses and burning white sage.  I prefer sitting on the floor with a pillow cross-legged, and I like to face a window so that it feels as if I'm connecting with the nature of the outside world.   Now if you don't feel particularly flexible by all means use a a chair.  The key is to develop your practice in a way that works best for you.  The truth of the matter is that the accessories are extra, because you could meditate on an airplane sitting next to an smelly man who is scratching and drooling (trust me I've done it).  The only thing you need is the will and want.  But by all means, make yourself comfortable so you'll want to show up again.

How do you meditate anyway?
I practice silent meditation more formally called Transcendental meditation (yes it's the same meditation that Russell Simmons practices) which means I simply sit  for 20 minutes twice a day with my eyes closed.  It’s not a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle.  It’s the most widely practiced, most researched, and most effective method of self-development.  And it makes me feel peaceful, settled, focused and has helped me to live my life on Purpose.

What happens when you close your eyes to meditate?
Three things happen when you close your eyes to meditate, you can fall asleep, have thoughts or go into the gap.

Falling asleep: If you fall asleep during meditation its not the end of the world, it just means that your body is tired and this might not be the best time for meditation.  Try again another time. I find it best to sit up with my back straight while meditating to prevent the body lulling off to sleep.

Thoughts: Thoughts are normal.  Thoughts are a way of releasing stress.  Meditation may be a brand new concept for you so it is necessary to train your brain to be silent.  To chase away thoughts I recommend the universal mantra: So hum.  Say it silently to yourself.  So hum.  When your eyes are close and you find yourself planning your family vacation or making a check list of what you need at the grocery store just keep repeating So hum, So hum to yourself until you feel settled.  The mantra should be used gently and effortlessly.  Eventually your mind will get the message and turn off the chatter.

Slipping into the gap: Ah, this is where the juicy stuff resides.  When we are rested and not releasing a lot of stress, our awareness may settle down and we may slip beyond the mantra, beyond thoughts and into the field of pure awareness.  When we are in the gap we are connected to source, to God to the Universe. 

This is where the magic happens, this is where you plant seeds of intention and my how your life will grow.  Because there are no thoughts while in the gap you may think I haven't said the mantra in a little while, did I fall asleep and the answer is no.  For a brief moment you stepped out of space and time into eternity.    

Was that enough to get you started?  Ready to plunge in?  I would love for you to sit for 20 minutes but if that seems too intimidating start with 5 or 10.  Heck, Oprah says start with 1.  Just remember this is a journey not a destination.  There is no right or wrong way to do it.  Every meditation is a good one.

Let me know how it goes and feel free to comment with questions!


Love, Light and Laughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment