Monday, January 17, 2011

Nothing Happening?

photo by Sadeqa Johnson

I have found that in meditation it can seem like nothing is happening.  Sometimes my burdens feel so heavy that even when I sit twice a day for five days in a row it feels like I'm just wasting chunks of priceless time.  Last night I was flipping through Yoga Journal magazine and came across this lovely quote.

"Think of a bird building a nest.  The bird goes and finds a twig and brings it back. Then goes and fetch another twig and brings it back.  If a storm comes and destroys the nest, the bird starts over.  Practice isn't always easy.  But the practice leads to deeper things, one by one."

My meditation teacher once told me, "its not what happens in meditation but watch what happens after."  Anne Lamott wrote a book on writing called Bird by Bird which teaches writers to take writing one sentence at a time.  I'm telling you to approach meditation one sitting at a time.  Don't worry about whether you can do it everyday, just start now.

Meditation is the gift that keeps on giving.  So close your eyes, take a nice cleansing breath, and exhale into the peace of silence.

Love, Light and Laughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment