Monday, January 31, 2011

Why are you crying?

Go to fullsize image

It's 7:09am and I have no business writing when the kids are still at the breakfast table, and all I have out for lunch are some unwashed strawberries.  The kitchen is a mess, I haven't flipped through Mr. ESPN's homework folder, nor packed the girls blankets for school, and all three are in their pajamas.  They need to be in the car by 7:45am or my Honey is going to yell, and I just hate sending the kids off to school with anxious energy.  Today is silent breakfast.  We missed Wednesday so it's been a week since we last practiced, and I woke up psyched.

In the kitchen, little Miss bossy sees me preparing her breakfast in a red bowl and starts shaking her head adamantly with a soft whine.  I know this means she wants The Little Pony bowl that Santa brought her.  I transfer the food and hand her breakfast.  A bowl of grits swimming in butter and creme just the way she likes it.  Or so I thought, because now she's shaking her head and crying out loud, "no I want oatmeal."  She only eats about five things and at 24lbs I'm really starting to worry about her, considering that she's turning three in six weeks.  I'm out of oatmeal.  Fed her the last covered in agave syrup yesterday, so I try calming her with a quick cuddle.  It's not working and within seconds little Miss bossy moves passed pissed, and is seriously disturbing the peace. 

"I want oatmeal!"  Now she's full out crying and completely ignoring the "I am practicing silence" sign I keep shoving in her face.  Prima Diva puts her precious little fingers in her ears and motions to me that her sister is destroying her silent mood.  Sighing, I break my silence (which I was enjoying) and whisper in her ear.  "Eat the grits.  There's no oatmeal.  I'll put a cookie in your lunchbox.  Just eat."  Why am I bargaining with a 2 year old?  This goes on for way to long and we are so behind schedule that I give in and start making her a waffle.  No sooner than I have it in the toaster, little Miss bossy starts chowing down on the gosh darn grits!  The room is quiet.  I go back to making lunch.  The morning goes on---faces, feet and fannies washed, heads comb, kisses and hugs.   

I know you've had mornings likes this, and I'll confess to having worst.  When I can't meditate, I breathe and breathe deeply.  When I'm aware of my breathing the most out of control situation is within my control.  It's Monday, and most of us have been hurled head first into a busy work week.  When you start feeling off balanced take a few cleansing deep breaths.  Breathe before that meeting, after lunch, prior to picking up the kids from school and then shuffling them to piano lessons.  Give it a try right now and watch how your day grows.

Namaste Beautiful,

Love, Light and Laughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment