Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Welcome!

photo by Sadeqa Johnson

I am a writer (author of the novel Love in a Carry-on Handbag in stores soon), stay-at-home mother of three very active children under the age of seven, and the daily demands of maintaining the constant chaos of my household use to make me dread getting up in the morning.  I stumbled onto meditation when my second child's skin was still tender from birth.  Bleary-eyed and suffering from the lonely shadows of mothering two babies while trying to write if only an hour a day, I was depleted and desperate to reclaim a small piece of myself.  I began my practice with a group meditation class held every Wednesday at the local YMCA and from the first Om I was hooked.

My teacher Donna Visco studied Primordial Sound with Deepak Chopra at the Chopra Center in La Costa, CA.  Every week she stressed the benefits of meditating for a fuller life and every class I sucked up her words like a parched potted plant.  Gradually I started bringing my practice home.  Then I discovered meditating before writing, and like magic those sentences and cliches that I labored over started working themselves out, because my mind was now clear and their was infinite space to create.

Five years later I'm introducing my community to the benefits of meditation just as Donna did for me.  I've been leading a class here in New Jersey for the past two years where we discuss topics such as: Living in Abundance, the Power of IntentionForgiveness, Silence, Detachment, Non-judgement.  We sit in a circle format on cushy pillows with candles ablaze and the smell of sandlewood incenses beckoning peace. Personal stories are shared and then we meditate together silently for twenty-five minutes. 

So here I am today launching Meditation and Moments of Musing for the peace and serenity of the writer and yogi in all of us.  This is where it will all come together.  I'll keep you updated on the discussions we have in my meditation class, teach you how to have a home practice and share the many up and down moments of my musing and writing.  Glad you are here.  Stay tuned for a wonderfully spiritual and creative ride! 

You are what your deep, driving desire is.  -- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV.4.5
Love, Light and Laughter!

1 comment:

  1. Dee your the Greatest....Keep up the GREAT work..

    ReplyDelete